CACTUS AND SUCCULENT SOCIETY OF SAN JOSE
June 4, 2017 Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
Attending: Linda Delgado, Kathi Cambiano, Sonia Dyer & Roger Lane
Meeting called to order @ 11:00
Meeting was a round table of information/observations regarding the Spring Show and Sale (S&S)
- She thought it would be nice to provide help in the wait line for checking out.
- Someone to answer questions
- She felt that it looked unprofessional to have people just sitting in the food/plant hotel area by the back doors to the court-yard.
- Linda explained that it is a resting place for people and that we answer questions all weekend long from that location. We also provide security.
- Linda also reminded the board that we are a social club and not a "business."
- She thought that it was a bad place for the hanging bars to be where they were.
- She thinks that it would be nice to have a clear stage for the winnerís plants. Pictures and such would look better if they were in a nicer setting.
- Three cash-register would be better.
- It would be nice to have a templet for S&S entries available.
- Social media is so important now, maybe something like cut-outs for picture taking would be nice.
- Jackie may have some new ideas for the post cards.
- "Ask-Me" buttons would be nice.
- Maybe we could have a place holder on the Show side for the entries that have been selected as First place and moved to the stage?
- It looked like the cash-registers were overwhelmed
- Maybe more people could be trained to check out?
Linda spoke to Peter and he said that there were more that were trained, but we needed the third cash-register. Who would have thought it would be so busy?
- Really great turn out. Could this be because of the later date, great weather or publicity? Maybe all three?
- It would be nice to get more volunteers from the club. Many of us volunteered the whole time.
- Vendors were still setting-up when the S&S had opened. Peter addressed this and it should be resolved.
- The Sale side seemed to be open way before 9:00. They were told that they would not be able to check out before 9:00 and that the vendors were still busy setting-up. All seemed okay with this, but we will continue to watch and make sure that it doesnít become a problem.
- S&S information may be really good idea. Cactus seem to be "The in thing" right now.
- We do have the membership table.
- It would be nice to have more Novice entries. It was difficult for the Judges to select winners from so few entries.
- Should Vendors receive "Show bucks?"
Sonia moved and Kathi seconded a donation to UC Santa Cruz for $1,000.00. It was voted on and passed. She would like to have it designated for the Arboretum Dudleya studentís research area.
| ||Linda will see if she still has the tatami mats to use on the stage at the next S&S|
| ||Linda has several tatami mats, but they are not all the same. I will look into the cost to get uniform mats. I will also look into the cost of buying material that may be used and can be washed after use.|
| ||Peter will get three cash-registers for the next S&S.|
| ||Kathi will look into cut-outs for pictures.|
| ||Linda will follow-up regarding ďAs MeĒ buttons
| ||Linda followed-up with Tami regarding the buttons. The price would be much greater if we wanted pictures and logos. The $1.00 was the price for "Ask Me" only buttons. Suggestion: make up additional badges like our club badges with the additional format and information.|
Adjourn at 11:50: LD